Sunday, November 6, 2011

How To Make A Beanbag


 

This easy craft was a moment of chance this morning.  I was preparing my Sunday School lesson and realized that I needed a beanbag.  I wasn't sure if the church had a beanbag or not.  I thought, I have the materials I need to make one of those, they can't be that difficult.  They were so easy.  My kids each wanted one and it took me no time at all to get them together.  They even helped me with the filling part.
Materials:  Scraps of fabric (large enough to make the size of beanbag you want), lentils (or beans or rice, lentils really make a nice feel to the beanbag), thread, small funnel, sewing machine (though you could hand sew these)

Step 1:  Fold your fabric in half so that you cut equal sizes of rectangles.  Use a rotary cutter on a cutting mat to size out and cut your fabric - I made mine 5 x 6
 


Step 2:  Reposition the fabric so the good sides are facing each other, rough sides out.

 Step 3:  Sew the fabric together, leaving a space of about an inch open on one side (that's what you will use to turn the fabric out and stuff with the beans.


 

 Step 4: Turn the bean bag inside out so it's now the right way around.


Step 5:  Put the funnel into the hole of the bean bag and scoop the lentils into the funnel to pour into the beanbag.  (Here's my son filling his).

Step 6:  Once filled, sew the hole up.  Now you are ready to play.  *note - I made 4 bean bags today.  2 of them used scraps of quilting cotton and 2 of them used a more durable decorating fabric.  It's up to you which makes the most sense for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment