Sunday, October 30, 2011

Yep, it's snowing

October 30th is the official first snowstorm of the year for us here.  I can't say it was the first snow because we did have a few flakes a few days ago.  Needless to say my boys are thrilled and are begging for us to get their sleds out of the shed (not yet, but if it keeps up, I will).

This was not something I ever experienced until I moved east.  You see for most of my life I lived on the West Coast of Canada.  And yes, I'm one of those people who love the rain.  Snow for us was a rariety, usually seen for about a week a year and that's it (unless you drove up to the mountains for skiing).  Every few years we'd get a big dump of it and everyone would panic, but usually rain was the winter norm.
Living on the East Coast is completely different.  It's not that unusual for it to snow this time of year.  And it will continue to do so until April probably.  The area where I live experiences great jumps in temperature pretty fast (my boys were wearing tank tops a week ago) so we'll get this and then it will melt and be warm and then freeze again, until about February when it's really just an ice cube for most of the month.  (Nothing like early morning school bus duty in February!).  I'm not a huge fan of it.  It's pretty and fun for a while.  And you do get a lot of cozy days spent inside with your family.  But it's also why I usually don't get out of town visits from my parents during the winter.  But the fact remains that it's all part of living in Canada.  Yep, it's cold - not much I can do about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment